Robert Henderson presents Captain Mackeigan of HMCS Calgary with the Calgary Tartan.
The St. Andrew-Caledonian Society of Calgary is proud to present Calgary with its own tartan. It is an official and registered symbol of Calgary that any person can wear any way they choose, whenever they like and wherever they like. The Society has freely made this presentation to Calgary, is the registered owner of the Calgary tartan, and is responsible for its management and promotion.
- Red — a Calgary colour from the North West Mounted Police.
- Blue — for Calgary’s rivers, the Bow and Elbow.
- Yellow — for the prairie and wheat fields that are found to the east.
- Grey — for the Rocky Mountains to the west.
- Black — for the oil and gas industry which has made Calgary prosper.
- White — represents Calgary’s pride in, and the symbolism of the white hat and the White Hatter Awards.
The official unveiling was held August 3, 2003 on Prince’s Island during the Heritage Day Opening Ceremonies where the winning designer, Donna Buie of Cochrane AB, was acknowledged and presented a copy of the registration, and a sash and tie in the new tartan.
The Calgary tartan is available at the Highland Scottish Gift Shoppe, 403-286-1932 with a special rate for Society members, and the Scottish Shoppe, 403-264-6383.
The Calgary Tartan Competition Special Group was formally dissolved at the September 2003 meeting having successfully completed its task and producing the remarkable Calgary Tartan for all Calgarians to wear as they see fit.
The Society is looking for members who would like to manage the tartan and see it used by various non-profit groups in the City. The new Special Group would follow the Guidelines for Special Groups and meet twice a year, firstly, to establish a budget, and secondly to consider requests. Promotion at various events should also be part of this group’s objectives. Interested members can contact a member of the executive for further details.
- The Society will also accept requests from charitable or non-profit societies who wish to use the tartan for consideration in the future.
- Currently, the Society ensures that all elected officials at the municipal, provincial and federal levels that represent Calgarians are presented with either a tie or sash in the Calgary Tartan, the Calgary Tartan designer and the Society’s Honourary and Life members. Seven feet of double width Calgary tartan has also been presented to Captain Mackeigan of HMCS Calgary.